- e. email@example.com
- t. 0121 459 4656
The Patrick Collection began back in 1960 when a decaying Austin Ten was spotted in a driveway in Hockley Heath, this was no ordinary car however, It had been built by coach builders at Patrick Motors Ltd in the 1930’s and, after it was purchased for the princely sum of £5, the two men who had originally built it , lovingly restored it to its former glory.
This was just the start that Joseph Patrick (then Chairman of Patrick Motors Ltd) needed. He loved his own private cars and could not face selling them and had accumulated a small collection. Over the years this became known as The Patrick Collection, and in the 1980’s, after Joseph had died, his son Alexander opened a purpose built museum in Kings Norton. At its peak the Collection owned over 240 cars reflecting the influence of the internal combustion engine on our lifestyle over the preceding years. The displays were regularly changed with at least 70 vehicles on display at any one time.
Due to the demands of upkeep on such a large collection and general economic pressure the original museum was closed and over the years, the majority of cars were sold off. What remains is a small, select number of classic and modern vehicles, mostly with a family history. The remaining vehicles are housed in a warehouse complex in Kings Norton, Birmingham.
In addition to the fine collection of motor vehicles, an extensive and varied assortment of memorabilia is also on display within the museum, along with a library containing numerous motor vehicles catalogues ranging from the 1950’s to the 1990’s.
Attached to the main viewing area is a classroom which is often utilised by schools, primarily with regards to Design and Technology teaching. Car Clubs are also regular attendees and are encouraged to use the facilities to hold meetings or get togethers. Refreshments and catering can also be provided upon request.
Julian Pritchard, trustee and grandson of Joseph Patrick, works with the small team to keep the museum in the public eye. Although not open on a daily basis the Collection will open via appointment, with guided tours available on request. Please contact our curator, Peter Harper, on 0121-459-4656 to arrange your visit.
The Patrick Collection is owned by The Patrick Foundation, a charitable trust registered with the Charity Commission (Charity No 515566) and therefore a donation is requested for admittance. Rates for Car Clubs and Group bookings can be agreed with our curator.